The touch of a precious child
I keep all of those moments running in my head
Some nightmare that keeps replaying
I pulled the nightshift
All the freaks were out
A high speed chase across town
Then a meth lab in olde town
Same shit as other nights
Just piling up quicker tonight
Ellen was at the mall
Doing that without the kids Christmas shopping
Mom had Jimmy and Sue
Fire up the lights a pimp on 5th and Holland was beating his
Girl
A drunk drive on Lexington Drive
And a domestic disturbance in the Heights
Rich people fight too
Six A.M. and I am punching out
Headed home
Twenty miles out where my kids are safe
Come through the door
Ellen runs to kiss me
And pulls me to the bedroom
To show me her Christmas finds
Leave my rig on the kitchen table
And my keys on the counter
The kids and mom are still asleep
Ellen smiles as she drags out the bags
Tonka trucks and Barbie dolls
KaBANG
The run shakes and the walls vibrate
I keep all of those moments running in my head
Some nightmare that keeps replaying
Been fifteen years and Ellen is remarried
And I sit here with this bottle in my hand
And my gun to my head
Then my Sue calls
She has a truck for Jimmy’s birthday
Do I want to go with her to the cemetery?
MAofFCVol1
18 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment