Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dipping my pen in her ink

Dipping my pen in her ink




I’ve spent my life shackled to these words
That keep trying to rip their way out of my chest
And I keep telling myself that it isn’t personal
But for hours I lay there awake
With those damn memories swimming in my head
Trying to escape on some backstreet
That is free of all my sins and favors
I pull on a pair of dirty jeans
And slip out the back door of her room
Left her in that bed wet and exhausted
And I gave her another man’s name
When she asked who I was
Told her I was a superhero from small town Kansas
And there in the rain
With the pain from those words gone for a moment
As the rain washes that girls saliva from my face
Then as I round the block to the boulevard of my life
All of it comes creeping back in
And words about that girl I just left
Start forming into lines and sentences
And that girl that I just stole a bit of innocence from
Will just end up words on a page to everyone
Except me

No comments: